Sunday, January 08, 2006

A lamp unto my feet

Last Sunday, the first day of the new year, our pastor at church passed out a simple half-sheet of white paper on which to list our goals for the year and keep track of our progress. He mentioned that it was nothing fancy, but often times writing these things down for yourself to see can be helpful in achieving your goals. The visual reminder creates a personal challenge.

I'm usually the type that would fill this sort of thing out immediately, but for some reason I've been much more thoughtful this time. Probably because I'm also the type to tuck a paper like this away somewhere, only to find it years later and toss it out.

This past week, I've spent some time seriously thinking about real and achievable goals for 2006. I have come up with three, which I will not be listing here because these challenges are...well...personal. I will, however, share with you the scriptures that I was given after writing these goals down.

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip - he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you - the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

I'm fully aware that come December, I may not be exactly where I had hoped to be. There will be twists in the road between here and there. But what the word promises is that I have nothing to fear, for the one who is in control loves me and is way more qualified than I to guide my path.

Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mapris read her Scriptures this morning knowing that God will help her with her goals as well.....
Last week was a disaster. I realized that was because I wasn't reading my Scriptures, because when you keep the Word in your heart it keeps your days, and minutes, and thoughts on Christ. Just where everything should be.
Moment by moment. Hmmm. Is this my blog?